Wantage Masonic Hall

Alfred Road, Wantage.

Left out of Mill Street, 50 Yards from Town Square,

Park in Town Square or Public Car Park in Limborough Road,

100 yards on the right out of Mill Street

Directions

In 1988, an excellent book entitled ‘A Short History of the Foundation of the Loyd Lindsay Lodge and Freemasonry in Wantage’ was written by W.Bro. F.H. Hitchcox, P.P.G.Swd.B., and we are indebted to him for the following details relating to the Wantage Masonic Hall.

In its early years, Loyd Lindsay Lodge No. 3058 met at the Town Hall, Wantage until March 1929 when it moved to the Parish Hall which had been formerly the Church of England Boys’ School. In 1944 the Parish Hall was offered for sale, and was purchased in 1945 for £1570. The purchase price and money for repairs was raised by loans from brethren. Since then other loans and donations from brethren, and funds raised by the ‘50’ Club established in 1970, helped to finance improvements and maintenance.

Wantage Temple

Inside Wantage Masonic Temple

Rising running costs, and the need for further repairs and modifications brought about the formation, in 1975, of an association consisting of all members of all lodges meeting in the hall; this body, now known as The Wantage Masonic Hall Ltd., assumed the responsibilities of ownership, upkeep, and maintenance of the hall, Since then, extensive work has been carried out voluntarily by many faithful and dedicated brethren. In addition to continuous repairs to the general fabric of the building, even the rebuilding of a gable end which became a casualty of high winds, the bar area was refurbished, and the robing rooms, toilets, and kitchen improved. An extension was built to house a dining hail. The Temple was completely redecorated very attractively with panelled walls and, most recently, new carpeting provided throughout including a new masonic carpet with Royal Arch border, the whole being a wonderful transformation and most fitting for a masonic Temple.

Back to top