Windsor Masonic Hall

Church Lane, Windsor.

Behind Guildhall - Not Accessible by Car.

Park in Castle Hotel (If Dining), or Public Car Park

Directions

 

Documents in the possession of Windsor Castle Lodge No. 771 suggest that the building dates its origin from 1725. Although reputed by some sources to be the work of Sir Christopher Wren there is no documentary proof to support this. It is, however, possible that his advice on the design was sought as he was a resident of Windsor for many years and he was instrumental in the building of the Guildhall in 1702. The building served as a Charity School from 1725 until 1862 when, the Royal Free School having transferred to a new building in Bachelor’s Acre, the old schoolhouse in Church Lane was sold to the newly consecrated Windsor Castle Lodge for £500.

Windsor Masonic Lodge

The Masonic Hall, Windsor, in the early eighteenth century

Considerable alterations were carried out and the new Temple was dedicated on 24th November, 1864 by V.W.Bro. Aeneas McIntyre, Q.C., Grand Registrar in charge of the combined Province of Berkshire and Buckinghamshire. The ceremony was followed by a banquet at the Guildhall for some eighty freemasons, the bill for which amounted to £26.6s.Od.

Windsor Temple

Inside Windsor Masonic Temple

Included in the alterations was the purchase of a second-hand organ from Messrs. Hill of London for £50. This little chamber organ was already a hundred years old but served the lodge until 1963 when it was scrapped and replaced with a Compton electronic organ. Later the pieces were recovered from the scrapyard by an unknown enthusiast who rebuilt the instrument in its original case; today the organ is in use in one of the Temples at Freemasons’ Hall, London where it is rightly known as the ‘Windsor Organ’.

Back to top