Wokingham Masonic Hall

 

7 Reading Road, Wokingham.

On A329, 1/4 mile from Town Centre towards Reading.

Car Parking Facilities

Directions

 

The building, sometime known as the Malt House, was formerly part of the Beches Manor Estate which included Holt House, now part of the Holt Comprehensive School, and several other substantial properties in the area. It is generally believed to date from about 1700 but may possibly be earlier in origin.

Wokingham Masoinc Hall

Wokingham Masonic Hall

In 1946 the members of Downshire Lodge No. 2437 purchased the building for £4282. In 1975 a wall was built in memory of Bro. Cyril Crookson this making the Temple completely separate from the Dining Room. The splendid oak door to the Temple commemorates the seventy years combined service of Ernest and Harry Hawkins, father and son, as Tylers of the lodge.

Wokingham Masonic Temple

Inside Wokingham Masonic Temple

The new Temple was dedicated by R.W.Bro. Brig. E.W.C. Flavell, D.S.O., M.C., T.D., D.L., Prov.G.M. on 15th September, 1975. Since then much renovation work has been undertaken on the building itself and recently the Dining Room has been redecorated to provide more elegant surroundings for the festive boards.

Back to top